verses in various meters about sundry themes.

Saturday, September 1, 2007

MISTY

I’ll linger on before I go
‘til the earth is soft and melts the snow
Then I’ll vanish under my favorite tree
and leave you with my memory

I played the role of your best friend
I stuck by you to the bitter end
People will ask for half a year
Where I’ve gone but it’s not clear

They say that He makes all things new
What will I be when I next see you?
What will I say, will I have hands?
I’ve done no wrong, but I’m not a man

Will we stand by side on a sunlit plane?
Or will I look down with blame?
I know you wept, I smelled your tears
I was finally blind, but still could hear

I lingered ’til the moment was true
‘til five o'clock I waited for you
The stairs went up and so did you
You know it's true, I waited for you

So now you visit your talking friends
and what we had has come to an end
You don’t need to check on me
as I vanish under the ancient tree.

(the end)
Commentary: The dog died on the first day of spring
at five o'clock. “I” who is speaking here, of course, refers to the dog.

No comments: